- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can use other nuts such as walnuts if desirable)
- 1/2 cup parmesan or nutritional yeast for vegan option
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin
- olive oil
- 1 lime or lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Peel the garlic
- Pick, and chop the basil and with the garlic pulse in the food processer
- Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes to add flavour (optional)
- Add the nuts (once cooled) and drizzle some olive oil
- Add the cheese and season with salt and black pepper
- Add the juice of a lime or lemon (optional)
- Blend the mixture in the food processer to taste and add more oil if consistency is too thick.
- Once fully mixed add the pesto to a jar for storage in the fridge (this will stay fresh for up to a week) or to freeze use an ice cube tray and store in a sealed container once frozen (this will stay fresh for up to 6 months).