In February 2017 we held our third annual conference – the North London Waste Prevention Exchange at Inmarsat Conference Centre. The topic for 2017 was ‘The circular economy in a post-Brexit environment: the role of local government and businesses’. Circular economy experts from the UK and abroad explored how best to energise the circular economy in cities, whilst at the same time keeping costs and unnecessary bureaucracy to a minimum.
Councillor Feryal Demirci, Vice Chair of North London Waste Authority and Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, Transport and Parks, London Borough of Hackney chaired the event, and invited speakers from across the UK and Europe shared their experiences and expertise.
There were plenty of opportunities for delegates to network, and attend the information stalls, which were held by Furniture Re-use Network, Hubbub, Keep Britain Tidy, London Community Resource Network (Real Nappies for London), and our own Wise Up To Waste campaign. There was also lunch provided using recipes from the North London Food Lovers’ Cookbook.
In the afternoon, local authority delegates took part in a workshop which explored how local authorities can frame an English circular economy strategy post-Brexit. The outcome of this workshop will be a written report, including 10 messages for government, which NLWA will use to feedback on the Mayor’s forthcoming London Environment Strategy.
The 88 invited guests included elected members and officers from regional and local authorities, and regional and national third and private sector organisations.
The event also sparked a great deal of activity on social media, with posts appearing on 7,000 people’s Twitter feeds within a 24 hour period. A full summary report of the 2017 North London Waste Prevention Exchange will be produced and available to download from this web page.
To view speakers' slides, simply click on the links below:
- ‘White Paper on the Circular Economy of Greater Paris’ - Matthieu Guerlain, Director for Local Economic Development, Paris City Council
- ‘The role of business strategies in catalysing transition towards a circular economy’ - Miranda Schnitger, Project Manager, Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- ‘The economic benefit of circular economy and how it can be beneficial to local authorities’ - Dr Dominic Hogg, Founder and Chairman, Eunomia Research and Consulting
- ‘How waste prevention can frame strategy and accelerate the development of circular economy in London’ - Wayne Hubbard, Chief Operating Officer, London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB)
- ‘Circular Europe Network. Best practices on circular economy instruments and business models in Europe’ - Philippe Micheaux Naudet, Senior Project Manager for Circular Europe Network (CEN), Association of Cities and Regions for Sustainable Resource Management (ACR+)
- ‘Joint Waste Disposal Authority Brexit Position Paper’ - Mark Ash, Managing Director, East London Waste Authority