After its success in 2016 and 2017, the London Upcycling Show returned on Sunday 18 November 2018! The show helped north London residents learn more about upcycling furniture – while simultaneously rescuing valuable resources from being thrown away.
This year's event was the biggest one yet with over 300 people in attendance.
The show shone a spotlight on upcycling and reuse with exhibitors providing endless inspiration for budding upcyclists, showcasing products such as instruments made out of plastic pipes to purses upcycled from milk cartons.
The family-friendly event was packed with practical workshops including child friendly activities, interactive demonstrations and creative exhibitions. The show featured an upcycling competition in which 25 north London residents upcycled an item of unused furniture. On the day, a panel of judges announced one winner from each of the five categories: armchair, bedside cabinet for children, side table, chest of drawers and upright chair, the overall winner and the 'People's Choice' winner. Each category winner, the overall winner and the' People's Choice' winner received a £100 voucher to spend at a DIY store.
This year judges were:
- Georgina Burnett, a TV presenter, DIY, interior design and upcycling enthusiast who shares her knowledge and ideas through her blog and online channel The Home Genie. She has also written expert advice for The Sunday Times, The Sunday Telegraph, The Guardian, The Independent, 25 Beautiful Homes and a number of other interiors magazines.
- Tommy Walsh, a TV presenter, author and DIY expert who first came to the public’s attention on the hugely popular TV series Ground Force. He has since presented several TV shows including Tommy Walsh’s Eco House and Fix it yourself. Tommy's first book, DIY Survival, was in the UK's bestsellers list and he has since published a further 4 DIY project books.
Kunle Barker, a construction expert, journalist and TV presenter on ITV 'Love Your Home & Garden', property expert and social entrepreneur.
- Chris Billinghurst, an eco decorator and established authority on creative reuse for interiors as well as the founder of Upcycled Hour, the UK's only agency for the support and promotion of professional upcyclers and the elevation of the standards and status of upcycling.
The judges were impressed with the quality of work this year selecting the below winners out of the 25 entrants:
- Best Upcycled Child’s Bedside Cabinet – Raluca Curcan, from Barnet
- Best Upcycled Upright Chair – Florence Bennett, from Islington
- Best Upcycled Armchair – Vishal Gohel, from Waltham Forest
- Best Upcycled Side Table – Gilda Pereira, from Waltham Forest
- Best Upcycled Chest of Drawers – Nicholas Troop, from Waltham Forest
- People’s Choice – Raluca Curcan, from Barnet with her Child’s Bedside Cabinet
- Overall Winner – upcycled Chest of Drawers by Nicholas Troop from Waltham Forest
The audience were also treated to a live Upcycling Challenge on stage, led by DIY expert Tommy Walsh. Enthusiastic volunteers from the audience worked in two separate teams against the clock to create a new piece of furniture out of rescued materials, with Tommy offering DIY tips along the way.
This event is funded by North London Waste Authority and brought to you environmental and social regeneration charity Groundwork London and is part of NLWA’s participation in the European Week for Waste Reduction.