Arcola has taken a number of steps to reduce waste in all its areas – the office, the café bar, the theatres and rehearsal spaces. These include:
Developing a set of ‘sustainable production’ guidelines for theatre companies with suggestions of how they can reduce waste in creating their productions, for example:
- Sourcing props and sets through the set-exchange website, which is similar to networks like freecycle, where people post items for others to reuse.
- Borrowing or hiring props and costumes rather than buying new each time
- Using clean, untreated timber to build sets. Arcola’s heating system is run by a wood-fired boiler so any timber that can’t be reused in sets will be used to keep the building warm
- In the office, setting double-sided printing as standard – even for scripts – has had a huge impact on the amount of paper used.
- In 2011, Arcola switched to digital marketing – no longer posting out thousands of theatre brochures, many of which were returned through the post. This also increased their social media presence.
- The bar team has reusable bags on hand for daily purchases, such as milk and bread.
Need more inspiration?
Watch our video case studies.